Friday, July 06, 2007

TWO DAYS IN A ROW

On the Fourth, my son Ed, and I spent the morning moving more stuff out of my old house. We are almost finished, but I am running out of places to put stuff. Then I went for a swim and a walk on the beach. After supper, we went down to the beach to set off our fireworks (fountains, legal in Virginia).

The display was awesome. That is a word I don't like to use because I think today's young have overused and corrupted it. I can't find a more appropriate word. From the beach here at the end of my street you can see about fifteen miles both East and West and the intensity and volume of private fireworks dwarfed the professional shows that could be seen in the distance. At time the beach was lit brightly enough to read a newspaper. Even Ed who is not known for enthusiasm, was impressed. Then yesterday the neighbors told me it wasn't up to last year.

Now we a dealing with the aftermath. Two days later the waste management dept. is still down there picking up the enormous piles of trash and garbage.

Yesterday, I took a boat on to Chesapeake Bay. It was a beautiful day. This retirement thing is alright!

2 comments:

Kit and Mac said...

so glad to hear all is well

sarirose said...

I remembered being so impressed with the fireworks at Chick's beach that the second year I invited friends over. Seems so long ago.
Glad to see you are blogging again.
Sally