Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NEW CAREER

I have accepted an appointment as an Ordinary Seaman to serve on a Military Sealift Command ship. I am qualified to sail as a Merchant Marine Officer, Third Mate or higher, but I lack the current documents.

I am currently going through the screening process. That includes drug testing, a complete physical, and a new security investigation.

I am filling out a form that is about 40 pages. The older I get the harder this becomes. Many of the people who could vouch for me are either dead or retired and moved to the swamps of Florida. When I get it done, I don't know how much effort the agency will put into the investigation, afterall, it is only an entry level job.

But if any of my family or friends get calls asking questions about me I hope you won't tell any stories that shouldn't be repeated.

1 comment:

Haddock said...

Do they still rely on the vouching part?
I thought it should be on merit.